Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Music

I find it interesting how important music is to us. It can change our mood just from listening to a certain song. The emotions that are tied to certain music - I just find it amazing. Sidney has inherited a love for music from Merilee. She has this uncanny talent where she can remember the lyrics to a song she has heard only a few times. Merilee can sing along to 90% of the songs on the radio. If you don't believe me, just ride in the car with her and turn the radio up. So, I thought what better way to bring back some good memories than with some 80's rock! Wow, I didn't realize what I would remember.

A few (that aren't too embarrassing to admit to - or are they?):

- Watching MTV with a group of friends every morning during the summer of '88
- "Laying Out" at Hyrum Damn - summer of '85, '86, '87
- Skiing with my two brothers at Brighton
- High school dances
- Driving around Salem in my sister's Volvo cranking G-n-R and Skid Row - summer of '88 and '89
- Camping in the Wellsville Mountains with our group of friends at our secret camp spot - '85, '86, '87, '88, '89
- Multiple scout trips

The embarrassment of growing up in the 1980's. Oh the shame, the shame...

3 comments:

Merilee said...

I don't know any of those songs. I was never into the big hair bands!

Sheri said...

I grew up in the 80's but my music tastes ranged from Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo, The Smiths, The Cure, ect. I stayed clear of those hair bands.

Chris C said...

I loved those bands too Sheri. In fact Oingo Boingo was my first concert! Loved 'em. The Cure is my all time favorite too. Growing up in small town Utah you couldn't really get away from some Poison, Motley Crue, etc. But I must admit I did love Guns N Roses!